The Friends of the Merril Collection Need You!
The Friends of the Merril Collection is an organization which supports The Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation and Fantasy, founded by a book donation from the late, great Judith Merril. We do this through our newsletter Sol Rising, and by sponsoring appearances at the Library by prominent people in science fiction, fantasy and related fields. And we have big plans to increase the profile of the Collection in the years to come.
And that’s why we need your help.
The Friends are looking for a few good volunteers to help out with events, and to help support our fundraising and promotion projects. We’re looking for people willing to help out with the following:
- Event Set-Up: In the hour or two before every Friends of the Merril event (readings, Xmas Tea, etc), there are a number of small jobs which need to be done (rearrange chairs, pick up catered snacks, etc.)
- Event Notification: Before Merril events, send out email notifications to members, contact local weeklies (Eye, Now) and local event websites (The Torontoist, etc.)
- Man the Tables!: Help man the Merril promotional table at events such as Word on the Street and local SF/Fantasy conventions.
- Merril Mailings: Help organize and carry-out occasional mass-mailing to members of the Friends (generally two-three per year).
- Sol Rising: Write articles for our twice-yearly newsletter, help with proofreading, ad sales, graphic design.
- Marketing/Promotions Committee: Looks at ways to increase the profile of the Friends and the Collection (among both individuals and corporations), and promote Merril Events. It will involve occasional meetings (decided upon by its members), and follow-up work investigating its ideas.
- Fundraising Committee: The Fundraising Committee looks at ideas to raise money to support the Friends and the Collection, through merchandise sales, fundraising events, encouraging individual and corporate donations, etc. It will involve occasional meetings (decided upon by its members), and follow-up work investigating its ideas.
Why should you volunteer? Volunteers are recognized for their services by the Toronto Public Library. High school student volunteers can earn valuable community service hours. And you’ll wind up with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org